With a climate as hot as the Caribbean, white sandy beaches crammed with golden tanned beach babes, and clubs that keep it pumping all night long, Miami is an LGBT paradise. Starting with the huge international gay community at South Beach and making your way to the Upper East Side to Coral Way and Doral, there’s an endless array of clubs, bars and beaches to cruise till the sun comes up.
Where to Stay
The fabulous Hotel Gaythering on South Beach is one of the top gay hotels in Miami with sleek black and red décor, a cute coffee shop and stylish bar boasting nights like Bears & Hares Fridays and Trivia Night. Guests even have unlimited use of the spa and there’s yoga on Tuesdays and Thursdays to get you into the laid-back Miami vibe.
Another gay favourite is the affordable Surfcomber Hotel right on South Beach. It has two restaurants and an impressive outdoor pool with a fountain, plus it’s been host to some must-go gay events like the lesbian Aqua girl party and the week-long gay festival, the 2009 Winter Party.
Where to Tan
The most famous of the LGBT loving beaches is without doubt the 12th Street Gay Beach. This South Beach stretch is recognisable by its loud and proud rainbow flags and is perfect for dancing, sunbathing and socialising till the sun goes down and beyond. Drive 11 miles north and you’ll find Miami’s other favourite gay spot, Haulover Beach. This stunning strip of white sand may be a little further out than South Beach but it’s home to one of the country’s best nudist beaches, with an average of 7,000 people visiting every day in summer.
Where to Party
Miami’s party vibe is so renowned there’s even songs about it (think Will Smith “all night on the beach till the break of dawn”), and it’s no different for gay clubs. From celeb guests at Twist or Score to some sizzling Spanish action at Azúcar, and enough drag acts to keep you in wigs and stilettos all summer, Miami’s gay scene is as hot as its Caribbean climate.
- Score has been the number one gay club for over 15 years and boasts celeb guests like Gaga and nights like WTF Thursdays, Filthy Gorgeous Fridays and Bigger Saturdays. Plus it’s an official Gay Pride venue, so you know there’s always a party to be had here.
- The first gay bar on Ocean Drive, Palace South Beach mixes laid-back breakfasts with late night cocktails and all-day drag shows.
- Azúcar (or Sugar Club in English) is known for its Spanish vibes, super sweet Drag Wars, salsa dancing and campy cabaret on Sundays.
- Wednesday Night Cockfight at Floppy Rooster is debauchery at its finest with an amateur nude contest on its huge main stage.
- Twist is another larger than life club with two levels and seven bars waiting to feed your desires with shirtless men and booming party hits until 5am.
- The elegant Magnum Lounge features piano music, champagne and some of the best fried chicken in Miami for some downtime with a touch of class.